Monday, June 18, 2018

Mammoth Caves National Park, Part 2

 These are photos from our road trip and visit to Mammoth Cave National Park on May 4-7. On May 5th hubby and I had reserved a cave tour called the Frozen Niagara. The tour lasted 1 hour 15 minutes, we were taken by bus to the cave entrance.


Mammoth Caves are known for their big rooms, this Frozen Niagara tour took us into an area that has some pretty cave decorations.













This was the wettest day on our trip, Kentucky received 3 inches of rain and it was the day of the Kentucky Derby. A rainy day was a good day to be inside the caves, no rain there!




 Not too many steps on this tour, we picked this tour because it described as one of the more decorated sections of the cave. 



A Cave Cricket, important for the cave's ecosystem.






Outside the cave at the Sloan's Crossing Pond, we took a short loop walk around this pond in the park. I did see a couple of Wood Ducks with ducklings. They hid quickly in the reeds.


Rain drops keep falling on my head, lol. Are you familiar with the BJ Thomas song?


Honeysuckle




 The following day hubby took the Historic Tour which was two hours, during that time I went on an easy hike and did some birding. 


I hope you enjoyed my post and photos. I wish everyone a great new week ahead.

No comments:

Grace Bay, Turks and Caicos, Nov 2023

 Grace Bay, Turks and Caicos, November 5-9th 2023 Hubby and I enjoyed a short getaway to Turks and Caicos. It is a British territory, close ...