Friday, April 4, 2014

Boldt Castle

 I am linking up with Gemma's  Scenic Weekend


Over the years hubby, son and I have been on many roads trips. On this trip I am taking you to the New York-Canada border.  One of the tours we took was a boat ride and walking tour thru the Boldt Castle. The Boldt Castle is located in the Alexandria Bay located in the famous 1,000 Islands.





On the St Lawrence River a boat took us to the Boldt Castle, for an inside tour and a walk around the grounds.





The Boldt Castle was built in 1900's by millionaire hotel magnate George C. Boldt. It was a tribute to his wife Louise who passed away before it was finished.

 




The Arched entry to the Bold Castle.






This stained glass dome overlooks the marble staircase.  Some of the later work was completed by the Thousand Islands Bridge Authority. They have spent millions in repairing and rebuilding portions of the castle and grounds.





Above scenes from our boat ride to the Boldt,  the Boldt Entry Arch, Boldt Yacht house, Ospreys on  tower, 2 nations. What a huge yacht house!






The USA-Canada official border lays directly on the river bed underneath this bridge. The bridge  with the Canadian and US flags is connecting two small islands.



I hope you enjoyed my travel post.  I wish everyone a safe and happy weekend.  

 Thanks for stopping by and I appreciate your comments. Thanks for stopping by to see my post and thanks to Gemma for hosting Scenic Weekends.

20 comments:

  1. What an experience this must have been. The bridge crossing the state borders is quite unique. And adore the impressive arch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Eileen;
    Oh, I've never experienced boat trip p;)
    And I'm always amazed with the castles in western countries. The Boldt Castle is really wonderful and entry is so facilitating♡♡♡ Reminded me of the little trip in Europe.

    Sending you Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan to my dear friend in America, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous Eileen. Love the boat and mosaic. The dome is spectacular. You must have had a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post! Years ago I had the good fortune to take a tour bout through the Thousand Islands area. It was so beautiful and I remember passing by this castle. I didn't get any photos of it so it was nice to see it through your lens. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to visit this part of the world and hope I get around to it before too long. In the mean time I enjoyed your photos. I especially like the one of the ospreys standing guard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the hubby & i loved our trip there ... Boldt castle is gorgeous. just amazing!! gorgeous area of US. ( :

    happy weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. a lovely tribute on his part; have a nice Saturday

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,
    adesso un bel tour con la Sam boat mi piacerebbe molto farlo...
    Felice sabato :)
    Myriam

    ReplyDelete
  9. This would be a grand tour!

    «Louis» invites you to link this to his Sunday Bridges! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. When travelling becomes a hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad "to travel" (in a flash) in such a rainy day like today... love the shown aspects... the mix of water, stone and glass!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely to go on cruise, my husband is not interested. My cousin is a travel agent manager. He got to go to many cruise and was telling us when he came to Auckland.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your lovely photos always take me right along on your wonderful trips.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This photo seems not very common to post, as it hasn't been everywhere like the Niagara falls border. Thanks for informing us Eileen, the distance looks so near! How many meters would that be?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Heisann!
    Nice to see where you travel, many interesting places 👍
    Have nice days ...

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful area! I've never heard of Boldt Castle. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wonder if I cross this bridge. I went over land from Toronto to New York. That was 1976.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Eileen!!
    What a lovely place!!Such beauty!!I like your mosaic photos!!Great shots!!Wish you a lovely day!Hugs!
    Dimi...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Neat place to check out. Thanks Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my goodness, I have visited Boldt Castle when our son was stationed at Fort Drum in Watertown NY. It's still beautiful there.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, Thanks for stopping by my blog. I appreciate all your visits.

BTW, I will not publish anonymous comments, unless I recognize the name. Sorry!

Have a great day, Eileen

Grace Bay, Turks and Caicos, Nov 2023

 Grace Bay, Turks and Caicos, November 5-9th 2023 Hubby and I enjoyed a short getaway to Turks and Caicos. It is a British territory, close ...